While I haven’t made the Three Graces yet, this is officially my new favorite HP pattern! I’ve been working on these pants here and there for quite a few weeks and I am so happy that they are finally finished. In reality this is a quick project but you know how it is when there are constant interruptions and you have to put something side for a few days or a week.
I apologize up front for the poor mirror photos. I wanted you to be able to see them on me rather than on my mannequin so I guess these are better than nothing. One of these days I will take the time to learn how to photograph myself with the aid of a tripod and self-timer.
This is before hemming, hence all the threads around the bottom. 🙂 Since I was using a pretty heavy linen I decided to make a size 6 and allow for 1″ side seams just in case. In a thinner, drapier fabric it’s nice to have more fullness but more fitted is always better with sturdier fabrics, IMO. I ended up not needing any of the excess but it’s always nice to have a little insurance since different fabrics fit differently.
As with all HP pants, the fit was nearly perfect for me right out of the envelope (you have to love that!). I made one alteration: I cut 1″ off the top of the waist. Not only am I short, I also wanted a slightly lower rise. If you do this, realize you’ll have to add to the lengthen the waistband. I just let out some of the extra I added as fitting insurance.
Since I have long legs for my height, the length was perfect for a flat or low-heeled shoe so no changes there. I wish you could see the back – Trudy’s magic L-curve makes my derriere look magnificent, if I do say so myself. Check out Trudy’s derriere in her Youtube videos and see for yourself.
You’ll notice that I didn’t include the pockets. I’m not much of a pocket person and, even if I were, I probably wouldn’t want them in a white pant since I’d have to find a suitable skin-toned fabric for the bags. I really dislike seeing white pocket bags on a white pant or skirt.
I made mock flat-felled seams at the side which gives a casual look and reinforces the seam nicely.
Instead of a self-fabric drawstring (which would have been pretty heavy in this fabric) I stitched two layers of 1/2″ twill tape together. The waist and fly facings were cut from a white herringbone shirting fabric to reduce bulk. I interfaced the shirting with Pro-Sheer Fusible to give it a little extra body.
Instead of a button at the waist, I used a trouser hook. I also made my fly on the left side instead of the right because I am so used to that wearing jeans all the time.
I used a plain, topstitched 2″ hem for weight.
These are just the thing for going out to breakfast on a Sunday morning – as comfy as PJs but a lot more stylish and flattering. This is a pattern that I’ll be making many times over!