I did manage to squeeze in a few hours of sewing time today and got pretty far along on the jacket. The back has been sewn:
as have the fronts (how much does this look like a Duct Tape Dummy?):
Since I am pretty curvy up top, I cut the pockets on the bias so that they would be better able to follow the contours of my body. I have done this with jean jackets in the past and it’s always worked out really well. To shape the pocket, I press it over my tailor’s ham and allow it to cool. In this picture, you can see the thread tracing I used to mark the flap placement. I rarely thread trace but nothing else would show up well enough on the right side of this fabric.
Here it is back on Ethel. I will save the pocket flaps until later because I need to select buttons and make buttonholes before they are sewn on.
I also finished one of the sleeves, which has the traditional jean jacket placket – very easy!